Parachromis loisellei

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

crotalusfan

Parachromis loisellei

Post by crotalusfan »

First, I would like to apologize for the length of this post, but I want you to have all the info possible in order to answer my questions the best you can.

I currently have a 6" female P. loisellei. She is in a 46 gal. tank. The external dimensions are 48" x 14.5" x 16". I will be moving from an aprtment to a house on August 1st and hopefully buying a new larger aquarium for her, and moving my P. managuensis into the 46g. Although this could be another 6 months away. My question is about the possibilty of breeding her. I have read a lot of info regarding breeding Parachromis, and it seems pretty easy. The first thing I am wondering is the necessary tank size? I have read that 40 gals is big enough, but that can't be right. I wouldn't keep her alone in a 40gal, let alone with a mate and possibly fry! The second thing I am wondering is this... Most of the breeding I have read about results from several fish being placed in a tank together when young and growing together and eventually forming a pair. I have had her over a year, and most of that time she has been in her tank with just a Hypostomus plecostomus to keep her company. If I introduce new P. loisellei I am assuming she will be pretty aggresive towards them. (She is aggresive with everything!!!) So.... Can I introduce one or more P. loisellei to her tank? Should I wait and put her and new loisellei together in a larger tank when I get it? If I do this, should I introduce 1 male, or should I put more than 1 male? I would really like to breed her, and not some other female loisellei. Thanks for any advice you can give me and sorry again for taking up so much of your time.

P.S. Assuming breeding her is still possible, do you know any breeders of this species? I have looked online without much luck. Thanks, again.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Parachromis loisellei

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi crotalusfan,

I am afraid it is going to be trial and error. Generally speaking, it is best to raise up juveniles and let them pick their own mate. When you have an adult and you add another adult it can present problems. First off unless they like each other nothing is going to happen, and these fish are highly territorial so if your cichlid has been housed alone, adding another one is going to be difficult. You can try, but you really have to keep an eye on them, because if they start fighting you are not going to be happy with the end result.

Typically hobbyists will divide the tank with egg crate/plastic grid and put a hole in it so the female can cross over to the males side, but if things get rough she can retreat and the male cannot get thru the hole to trash her. You just put some slate and rocks by the opening and they can have a successful spawn thru this plastic grid. However, in your case if your female is very aggressive, you would have no way to protect the male.

I think a 80+ gal tank would be more appropriate, especially if you are trying to get these fish to pair off. There are several hobbyists working with this species in the US. Good luck with your venture, they certainly are a neat cichlid to work with!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com