re compatible tankmates

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

jaykay

re compatible tankmates

Post by jaykay »

many thanks for your info and help so if im right the loisellei and tetracanthus will go together ok if so is there any other cichlids will go with these in a 6x2x2. and also the other three the vieja,tomochicla,herichys will 6 of each be enough for my tank or could i add anymore species with these as i intend stocking all at once with young fish if so what could you reccommend. many thanks.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: re compatible tankmates

Post by Pam Chin »

Jaykay,

Oh dang, I was thinking you had a 100+ size tank, but didn't realize it was a 180.

Well here is the deal, these big predators are going to be tough to work with in a "community " setting. If the fish you have chosen now spawn, they aren't going to kill off everything else in the tank hopefully! You are definitely going to have some spawning action, since cichlids are born to breed. But I am worried that when the tetracanthus decide to spawn, everything else is going to be in danger. And this is why I am encouraging you to go more with the medium size Centrals that have smaller mouths. You could probably add another 1 or 2 species to your list, but I think that is going to be plenty for your tank. Your tank may look a little sparse in the beginning but it is going to fill up quickly!

Based on that assessment, what else is on your list??

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com