new to cichlids

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

lahlahlooloo

new to cichlids

Post by lahlahlooloo »

i have a very small starter 15 gallon tank with 3 little firemouth cichlids. i did my research and my little tank community was doing well until yesterday. i noticed at the bottom of the tank this little green blob. it looks like one egg or something. then today theres another one? i dont know what they are. i have 2 females and one male so mates are possible but there still so young? i dont kno if i should fish it out? or move it. my tank is far to small for breeding and i got young ones so i would have the time to upgrade to a lager tank. now im so confussed? help. i looked online to try and find pictures of there eggs but no luck. maybe your expertise will help. i hope its not eggs.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: new to cichlids

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi lahlah,

I am not exactly sure what the green glob is either, but I doubt it is eggs. When firemouths lay eggs they are going to clean an area and the eggs are actually adhesive and will stick to wherever they deposit them. Usually on the side of rock, flower pot, tank, etc. They are usually a cream opaque color, and there would be a large plaque of them. It would be 2 or 3 inch diameter filled with eggs.

I am sure you realize your tank is really even too small for one firemouth, let alone 3, and so you need to make sure you are doing regular water changes, and try not to overfeed. You will need to upgrade as soon as you can if you want to continue working with this species.

If you can get it out with a net, or something, I would do that. It is probably some algae, left over food, or fish waste.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com