Tall Tank

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Jk23

Tall Tank

Post by Jk23 »

Thank you for your response. Are taller tanks more difficult to maintain? I have read that they are harder to keep aerated and harder to keep clean. I was wanting to go for the 150 gallon tall, but I've read mostly negative information on tall tanks. It seems most people say that the longer tanks are better than the tall tanks. What are the pros and cons in your opinion?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Tall Tank

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi JK,

Well you didn't tell me how wide this tank is, or which cichlids you want to work with, these would be things to consider, but not usually when you are talking about tanks over 100 gallons. It may have a smaller "foot print" then most 100+ gal tanks, but volume has to be a big consideration also. There are really no disadvantages in my mind, you have to pick your fish in this type of a tank just like any other tank. If you want it to be peaceful and have fish that get along well, then you pick fish that do not occupy the same area of the tank. In other words, you don't pick 4 species that all hang out in the upper portion of the tank, that is when you run into problems. So you want a fish on the bottom, in the middle and in the upper water column, and then your tank looks complete.

The advantages of a tall tank are many! First and foremost, is they are beautiful, it is amazing how much better your tank looks when it is 6" taller. These are true show tanks! If you pick a filter that will turn your water over 6 - 8 times an hour, you should have plenty of flow. Use a filter that you are most comfortable with, you are the one that is going to have to clean it. You can add air stones if you want, or even a power jet, for additional circulation. It will depend on what you decide to work with.

You have many many options with a tank this size.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com