Salvini Cichlids?

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Fish Guy

Salvini Cichlids?

Post by Fish Guy »

I was thinking about getting a trio of Cichlasoma Salvini and was wondering what methods are there for sexing them other than the common cichlid way of males having elongated dorsal fins. I have read the females have a spot on their dorsal fins as well on their gill plates. Do you know if there is any truth to that? Also what do you think of Salvinis in general as for keeping them?
matthew penney
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Salvini Cichlids?

Post by Pam Chin »

Hey Matt,

The correct scientific name these days is exCichlasoma salvini. The female has an occelation (spot) in her dorsal and a spot on the gil plate. So they are fairly easy to sex. Its best to let them pair off naturally, and keep an eye on your female. Males can be quite aggressive towards the females. I think they are easiest to spawn when they are young about a year old, before they are full grown and mean! If you do have issues, females are usually smaller, and you can use the egg crate method, where the female can get back to her side of the tank thru a hole in the egg crate that the male can not fit thru. They are a gorgeous Central american Cichlid!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com