CA stocking plan

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

buffy1270

CA stocking plan

Post by buffy1270 »

Hi Pam. I have gotten good advice from you in the past about an African cichlid tank I was setting up and I have now decided to try CA cichlids. I have a question about how appropriate the stocking plan/tank sizes are for the below. I am looking for one of 3 different sized tanks: 75 gallon, 90 gallon, 120 gallon long. I would really like to try one of the following:

1. One ex-Cichlasoma pearsei, one firemouth cichlid and a shoal of wild-type swordtails.

2. Just the one ex-Cichlasoma pearsei and shoal of swordtails.

3. A colony of firemouths and a shoal of the swordtails above (this is probably the one I am least excited about because I really like the pearsei).

4. Finally there is a midas cichlid locally at a fish specialty store that I interact with when I go in and he is really tugging at my heart strings. :)

My questions are:

1. Which of the tanks would be best for each of the stocking plans if I overfiltrate and have regular water changes?

2. Do these ideas put compatible species together?

Any suggestions or other input would be helpful.

Thanks.

Karen
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: CA stocking plan

Post by Pam Chin »

Hey Karen,

You always want to buy the largest aquarium you can, and that you have room for. If you can do a 125 that would be ideal. I think your choice of pearsi, firemouth and swords sounds like a great tank. Keep in mind that pearsi can get up to 14 - 16 inches and you are going to need the larger tank.

Regarding the Midas, these are wonderful social cichlids with tons of personality, but they are not going to tolerate any tankmates. In this type of set up they really do become a wet pet. Its a lot of fun to have big cichlid like this even if he is housed alone. They are always glad to see you when you come home!

Both tanks are sure to be a lot of fun!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com