cichlids are super spooky

Q&A About Central American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Begginer Cichlids

cichlids are super spooky

Post by Begginer Cichlids »

I have had 5 firemouth cichlids for about 3 months now. They are super spooky. Is there anything that I can do? They are all juveniles. But are starting to pair up.
I dont know whats wrong with them. They are coloring up and all but they are always spooked by everything. Please give some advice and tips.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: cichlids are super spooky

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Beginner,

That is a tough one, since I am not sure how you have them set up. But even after three months they should have setteled in.

First you want to check all your basics, make sure performing regular water changes, that your temperature is stable, should be about 78 degrees. Make sure they have some cover, that they are just not in an open environment. You can use PVC or Flower pots, or go more natural with drift wood and river rocks. Make sure you have a background on your tank, you don't want reflections startling them. It just needs to be a solid color, like green or blue. Darker colors encourage them to try to blend in and you may not see the optimum coloration from your fish.

So spend some time in front of your tank, let your fish get to know you. You don't want to be known as just a source of food. Speaking of food, try cutting it back, if they are hungary and they see you, they should be coming to the glass.

Hope that helps….
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com