my female cichlid

Q&A About Lake Malawi Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

avidcichlovr

my female cichlid

Post by avidcichlovr »

hi pam, i just have one quick ?, my female cichlid has been hanging vertical by a plastic plant and the male comes around and seems to investigate. her belly is little bloated (but we dont overfeed them,once a day) and she is healthy other than that, can she be carrying eggs. I have read on other web sites that female cichlids will lay eggs just to get rid of them. she came with a fry in her mouth and only one survived. and the male has been twitchy around her. can you please help :?: :D
80 gallon bowfront- 2 blue peacock, 2 electric yellow, 1 upside down cat, 1 red peacock, 1 red zebra, 2 kissing gouramis, 1 electric yellow fry, 1 electric blue
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi avidcichlovr,

Holding females do like to find a place to "park" while they are brooding, so that is a possibility, however I am not sure what you mean by her belly being bloated? That is not good, one would suspect the belly would be a bit thinner from the release of the eggs. The eggs should be in her mouth, so is she chewing, or does her mouth look full?? Females rare eat during this time, if your fish eating? These would be clues.

And if she is holding are you prepared to follow thru? You have foods for small fry? You have an isolation tank for the female? A tank ready for fry? Or are you just going to let nature take its course and let her spit in the tank which is fine also, just not sure how hands on you want to get?

If you have more questions, just start a new message, as you won't be able to reply to this one.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com