one male many females

Q&A About Lake Malawi Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

fmkeylock

one male many females

Post by fmkeylock »

hi pam

i have two maingano's they were a gift and one was suppose to be a female...LPS strikes again! my wife loves the fish but the dominant male is at work, the other male is not as brightly colored and is chased around the tank often. if i add a couple more males will it even out aggression or will it be a war zone?? also i want 3-4 yellow labs ,can they all be male or am i looking for trouble here also. i have no idea how to vent a fish and apparently neither does the local aquarium store. I have a 40 gallon with all mbuna set up for me by and online breeder. everybody gets along and it is a beautiful tank, can i take some of those mbuna and put them in with my 4 inch mainganos they are only 2 1/2 inches. thank you
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: one male many females

Post by Pam Chin »

FM,

I am a little confused... so what size tank are the Ps. cyaneorhabdos in? And are there any other tankmates in that tank? You may want to make sure the fish being chased can get away from the other fish, a cave or a piece of PVC would be good.

Then you also have a 40 gallon Malawi mbuna tank? Sounds like your fish are small now, but that is going to be an issue when they start to become sexually mature. A 55 gallon tank is the very bare minimum, these fish can be brutal to each other in a 55 gal. After all once you start deducting sand, rocks, etc, before you know you don't have much actual water.

The key to all male tanks is no females, if there are no females there is nothing really to fight over. But you only need one female to get all the males fighting, regardless of the species.

Sorry but you have to start a new message.
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com