Reply to Pam RE: Taiwan Reef Chimoto Yellow

Q&A About Lake Malawi Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

vivienb

Reply to Pam RE: Taiwan Reef Chimoto Yellow

Post by vivienb »

Hello Pam!

Thank you so much for your response to the above referenced thread. Sorry, I have posted this in the wrong category.

After digging through my purchase log and more research, she is an Aulonocara jacobfreibergi swallowtail.

This is the video I posted of her on the previous thread

And this is a picture of a Swallowtail I found online, looks just like her

We only purchase our fish from one privately owned fish farm in town http://riftfish.com/Riftfish/Welcome.html
Jon Carman at Rift Valley Exotics sells awesome wild caught and F1 fish. Please take a look at his website if you have time.

We admire and trust Jon and consider him a great friend. The only mistake he made was to call this Swallowtail a male, when in fact, it's a female. And now, after all of this research, I can see why Jon thought this is a male. I am no expert, but I can honestly say she is the most beautiful female Lake Malawi fish I have ever seen! That is why we were so shocked to find her holding eggs. I am guessing that she bred with our Lemon Jake, because all of this was happening at the same time Lemon Jake was acting like a crazy fish. We had to remove him from the tank and place him in a tank by himself. Not too long after that is when we noticed this fish in question had a funny looking mouth. We have all males (so we thought) and had never seen a mouth brooder before.

The 36 fry from this beautiful female came out of her mouth with yellow anal fins, and blue dorsal and pelvic fins. Beautiful little fry! So, maybe she did breed with the Lemon Jake. Either way, we don't know for sure, so they are considered hybrids, and we would never pass them on as anything else.

My question for you now is, are Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Swallowtail endemic to Lake Malawi? There seems to be some confusion regarding this issue.

Thank you so much Pam, you must have the patience of a saint and the knowledge base of an encyclopedia to do what you do! Much appreciated!

Vivien & Brad Burger
Joelton, TN
220 G All Male Haps
125 G All Male Peacocks
125 G Frontosa
36 Swallowtail female, we don't know the daddy fry (Swallowtail was supposed to be a male)
31 Yellow Lab fry (saw the spawn)
27 OB female/Eureka male fry (saw the spawn, OB was supposed to be a male)
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Reply to Pam RE: Taiwan Reef Chimoto Yellow

Post by Pam Chin »

Vivien,

Aulonocara jacobfreibergi is endemic to Lake Malawi.

I am glad to hear you have a good relationship with your cichlid enabler!!! Looks like you have some nice tanks going.

Thanks for the kind words,
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com