Moderator: Pam Chin

garydmarr

scared malawi's #2

Post by garydmarr »

"So we need to ID your fish"

Here's a few pics of my fish

#1 http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/4526/img24675ih.jpg

#2 http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6204/img24564bo.jpg

6 fish in total #1 shows the dominate one (large solid yellow one) and #2 is two yellow labs I believe.

"Where is your tank located? "

In my living room , just me and my wife. Average traffic they will come out when your seating back from tank but as soon as ya get up there gone.

"What percentage of water do you change?"

Probably change about 15% every 2 weeks

"Temp and PH"

78 and 7 , I know the PH is low I just added 3 Texas holey rocks to increase hardness will this help the PH also?

"How often you feed"

Was twice a day but have decided to cut back to once a day

"What kind of filtration?"

Have 2 Aqua Clear 200's

Thank You very much for your help.

Gary
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Gary,

"So we need to ID your fish"

Photo #1 appears to be all Metriaclima zebras, formerly Pseudotropheus zebra... a typical mbuna (means rock dweller)

Photo #2, I can't tell you exactly what that is, but it is some type of mbuna

I don't see any labs???? Those all look like zebra types to me.

"Where is your tank located? "

Okay, that sounds fine, I think part of the issue maybe the way your tank is decorated with the rocks across the bottom, it could be the way they have claimed their territory. Your tank is on the marginal side of being too small, with that much rock, you really don't have that much water. Since these fish all prefer the bottom of the tank in the rocks that is where they are all trying to hang out, while the top of your tank is empty. So you might want to consider trading in a couple of these and getting one or two hap types that will naturally hang out in the upper water column.

"What percentage of water do you change?" Probably change about 15% every 2 weeks .

Okay, we need to work on your water changes. every two weeks is okay, but you need to remove more water than 15%. You have everything out to change your tank anyway, so each time you change your water increase it another 10% until you work your way up to 50 - 60 %. There is nothing like clean water for your fish, it will make they so happy.

"Temp and PH"

78 and 7 , I know the PH is low I just added 3 Texas holey rocks to increase hardness will this help the PH also?
d
Temp is okay, you could lower it a couple of degrees, 74 - 76 is the best. Your pH is too low, and you might just consider adding a pH upper, there are many on the market, and it is a lot easier than trying to do it with rock, or household products. You just add it each time you change your water. You can't have your pH to high with these fish, but a stable one is best.

"How often you feed"

Was twice a day but have decided to cut back to once a day

That is good, your fish are plenty fat!!

"What kind of filtration?"

Have 2 Aqua Clear 200's

Okay, that sounds good....

I think if you increase your water changes, get your pH up some, and cut back on the feeding your fish will be a lot healthier and happier. Also consider trading a couple for haps. Check out anything Protomelas, Copadichromis, Placidochromis, Scieanochromis.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com