Calvus Tank

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

CalvusATX

Calvus Tank

Post by CalvusATX »

Hi Pam,

The owner of Amazonia here in Austin told me to ask you about my plans for my 55gal Tanganyika Community Tank. She said you have them all and know your stuff! Here's what I'm planning:

Altolamprologus calvus
'Lamprologus' multifasciatus
Cyprichromis leptosoma
Telmatochromis vittatus

I'm totally in love with Calvus, and I really like the multis as well. I'm not really excited about the leptosoma, and I wanted to ask if there is another fish you could recommend. I'm open to non-cichlids as well. I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Calvus Tank

Post by Pam Chin »

Hey Calvus,

There are lots of options for a Tanganyikan Community tank. If your tank was larger then I would say okay on the Cyps, but I really think they do better in larger tanks, and Cyps are much more aggressive then you think. They claim a virtual territory and can trash your other fish in a 55 gal. While Calvus is an ambush predator, they like to wedge themselves inside a crevice and then shoot out and eat their prey. "Lamprologus" multifasciatus" can be one of their favorite foods. They are really too small to put with this predator, and they will freak out being in with this predator and never come out of their shells.

Telmatochromis vittatus is a good choice and they can take care of themselves in most situations. Many of the other lamps will work also, like leleupi, cylindricus, mustax, etc. As well as any of the Julidochromis species. If you want something for the top of the tank, I would suggest Congo Tetra's They have a lot of good color, and will do well in this type of community setting.

I would do lots of rock work in this tank, and I would not exceed 4 species, (3) cichlids) (1) Schooling Dither. Oh one other thing you might find fun for your tank is a Synodontis Catfish, from Lake Tanganyika, there are (2) species that work well... Synodontis multipunctatus, and Synodontis petricola/luccipinnis (sp).

Sounds like a nice tank in the making!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com