Calvus Tank 2

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

CalvusATX

Calvus Tank 2

Post by CalvusATX »

Pam,

Thank you for your advice. I looked around and have another group to ask you about:

Altolamprologus calvus
Telmatochromis sp. "temporalis shell" or Lamprologus Brevis
Chalinochromis brichardi or sp. "Ndobhoi"
Congo Tetra
Synodontis petricola

I like the t. vittatus alright, but I would prefer something a little flashier for my shellie. Also, I was wondering how many of each you would suggest and just how much rock should I use.

Thanks!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Calvus Tank 2

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Calvus,

Okay, that is a little better list! But no shellies for you. They are too small to house with calvus.

Chalinochromis is a good choice, either species would work in your set up. Chalinochromis brichardi is not as aggressive as the ndobhoi, so it would be a better choice.

It think it is best to buy 6 or so of each species of the cichlids and Congo Tetra's, and one or two Synodontis if you stick with multipunctatus or petricola. If you end up with another synodontis, only one, because they will grow larger.

Any type of rock work that is in a pile, will provide lots of hiding places. Slate, is good for stacking and making caves. Rocks should be along the back with an open area in the front. Its a fine line, rock is going to eat up your actual water. You don't want to much rock work, but you will need some. It will be better spread throughout the tank then individual piles of rocks.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com