Temperature Fluctuation

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

sujay

Temperature Fluctuation

Post by sujay »

Hello Pam! Is it normal to have a slight fluctuation in tank temperature from having the lights on 8 - 10 hours? For instance in my 130/140g tropheus tank the temperature rises from say 26c to 26.5c - 27c and then gradually drops back to 26c or around that but never lower. I'm currently only running one 300w heater set to 25c at the minute but as the tank water never drops below 26c due to the ambient temperature being warm with the summer climate i'm guessing. Now Pam, summer climate you might be thinking here in rainy ole' england but this be the truth and things should be getting cooler soon in the coming weeks so the temperature will be more constant then. I'll remember next summer to set the temperature to say 24c before it get warm so that the tank will stay around 24 / 25c next year rather than the hotter temps. Thanks,

Dan
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Temperature Fluctuation

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Sujay,

Your flucuation is not that high, some people can have more then 10 degrees difference, which woud be a large swing. This constant up and down temperature flucuation can cause stress, and we know that stress may cause a variety of issues. I would say your temperature swing is fine. I really think that Tropheus do better around 76 degrees F. or 24 degrees Celcius. Higher temperatures increase aggression, there is less oxygen in the water, it can shorten the life span of your fish and compromise your water conditions.

So keep them cool!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com