Tanganyican Compatibility?

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Sapperone

Tanganyican Compatibility?

Post by Sapperone »

Hello Pam, I currently have two 55g. One devoted to a Malawian biotope and the other Tanganyican. On the Tanganyican tank I have a juvenile Frontosa, ( about 4") a Moorii and one Duboisi, all juveniles. They are getting along well except the occasional Moorii vs. Duboisi slight conflict. I was wondering if adding four or five Neolamprologus Brichardi - Juveniles as well- will disturb this peaceful environment?
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Tanganyican Compatibility?

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Sapperone,

Sorry but I don't think it is a good mix. Your Tropheus are vegetarians but they don't know it. They will eat anything offered or found in the tank! Your Frontosa is a opportunistic feeder, they do need more protein then Tropheus, but also enjoy veggie foods. N. brichardi is also a meat eater. You have a chance to compromise health of your Tropheus while insuring that everyone else is getting enough food. Tropheus also do better in large groups all of one kind in larger tanks. If you were to remove the Tropheus, then I like the idea of a small group of N. brichardi with your Frontosa.

Your tank is on the smaller side and Frontosa can get quite large, so that is going to limit your choice of tankmates. It comes down to which fish do you want more, and then you build your tank around that species.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com