Neolamprologus Pulcher fry

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Sapperone

Neolamprologus Pulcher fry

Post by Sapperone »

Hello Pam!
I've had enough luck to get a pair of Pulcher to spawn several times almost back to back. I allowed them to remain in a Tanganyican community setting for the first two spawns along with their fry. Due to their superb parental skills, I've had a relatively high survival rate. Now I've moved the bonded pair and as many fry I was able to syphon or net to a 20g cycled tank along with the caves they used to spawn from the beginning. To my amusement, I discovered a new batch of tiny fry just last night. I've read in several forums that in order to get the fry to grow faster and healthier it is advisable to do several water changes weekly which does make sense. What I question is the amount of water I should change? I was asked to change up to 75%! at least three times per week? The newly hatched and older fry are being fed baby brine as well as commercial fry food twice daily. What would you advise regarding the water changes? The water parameters are ideal and everyone looks in good condition.

To my amusement Ad Konings moved into my neighborhood in El Paso, TX. along with Cichild Press!! Can't wait to organize a local cichlid club. I believe he and Gertrude are fascinated with local flora since they organized a local cactus club.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Neolamprologus Pulcher fry

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Sapperone,

Congrats on the spawn! Neolamprologus pulcher is one of my all time favorites from Lake Tanganyika.

You really need a fry tank if that is your goal. A 20 gal tank is fine for a pair, but at some point you have to remove the fry, and the fry production will go down as the tanks occupants get larger. It is best to remove the fry when they are 3/4" - 1" in size. Then once in a fry tank this is when you can do larger water changes to promote growth. You have to work your fish up to these larger water changes, sometimes with Tanganyikan's if you change to much water to fast, they freak out. So it is going to depend on how many fry you have and what type of filtration you are going to use and how much food you feed. But you will be able to tell when you need to change the water, if they aren't cleaning up the food, or the water looks hazy, etc. You start this routine by changing 20 - 40% of the water and then you just start taking 10% more every other time, and eventually you will get up to a higher percentage. You really can't change your water too much, and these fish appreciate clean water, but you need to make sure the parameters stay the same, because in smaller tanks, your fish can't take a pH slide, or a few degrees in water either way, it can stress your fish. These fish don't like big changes, so if you don't clean your tank for a long period of time, and you do a big water change you can shock them too. They like a steady routine!

Sounds like you have food under control, freshly hatched baby brine is the best food for fry! Also let the algae grow on your rocks and caves, this is always good food for fry to pick on too.

Good luck with your fry!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com