Tang Compatability

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

lilgator21

Tang Compatability

Post by lilgator21 »

Hi,
While I've kept fish forever (my first tank had a metal frame and a slate bottom...) and our water here in Reno, NV is hard with a high pH out of the tap, I've yet to have a Tang tank and have been doing my research. The problem is...very conflicting info. I love the idea of the Tangs' individual niches and I think I've settled on types that seem compatible:
Shoaling - top of tank - cyprichromis leptosoma
Rocks & Caves - julidochromis dickfeldi
Shellies - lamprologus stappersi/mealeagris (pearly occelatus)

I would love a 4th species...
I like the featherfins - esp. aulonocranus dewindti but I'm reading conflicting tank size and aggression issues between it and the julies and pearlies.
I like neolamprologus leleupi but it seems it would not be happy with the julies since they are similar in niche...I'm also concerned about them sucking the little shell dwellers out to get to the fry should I be lucky enough to see any...
Is there another possibility I'm overlooking? Of the fish I've listed, the pearlies and the julies are my favorites.

I would like to stay in the 125 gallon tank range if possible (std. 72"). It's the easiest big tank to find here in Reno. Also, any suggestions for finding Tangs in the Central or Northern California area would be great. To give an example of how bad the area is... our LFS brought in one J. transcriptus - wants $19.99 for him and has him in with the German Rams.. I almost bought him out of pity. The big box stores have tanks full of ich right now. I don't even dare bring home guppies for my daughter's community tank.

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Rhonda
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Tang Compatability

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Rhonda,

I apoligize for not answering sooner, but I have been in Denver Colorado for the American Cichlid Association annual convention. Haven't had a chance to check in.

I think that 125 is the excellent size to go with, you have so many options, and if you get tired of a Tang tank there are so many other ways to go, when you have a nice size tank like that. It sounds like you have done your research and picking species that live in the different types of habitats of Lake Tanganyika is the way to go. And I think you can add Aulonocranus dewindti along with your other picks, they will all do fine.

I think you should by 6 - 12 of each species and maybe even a few more of the Cyps. You will have plenty of room.

To find all those species at one store may be hard to do and you are right they are going to be expensive. You need to find a local breeder and it will be easier on your pocketbook.

Clubs are great way to find local breeders, not sure if there is on in Reno or not, but a nice size club in Sacramento and an ALL Cichlid club in San Jose, CA.

http://www.cichlidworld.com
http://www.sacramentoaquariumsociety.org

Sounds like a great tank in the making!!!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com