Muzimu green

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pepp

Muzimu green

Post by Pepp »

Hello! I have bought à group tropheus muzimu green, after hours on the internet i have read alot of different speculations.
So i have à couple questions!

1 Does it exists in the wild

2 is it a brichardi

3 is it living side by side with T. Sp."black" muzimu

4 what are the wild coulurs, does it exist black with red stripes in the wild, that you can see in the market

5 if it exists why is it not described in the new tropheusbook

/Peter
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Muzimu green

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Peter!

I would have to see the fish you are talking about to say for sure. But I think I know the fish you are talking about, I am keeping it myself. Tropheus brichardi mizimu I think the problem is that different importers call them different names. Some call them ubwari green moorii, even though it is a brichardi. Konings is trying to stay away from trade names in his book, and calls it Cape Caramba (ubwari) as its all the same area.

This area was well explored by Brichard, and Konings found the same results. There is a Tropheus brichardi living along side Tropheus sp. black.

So yes it does exist in the wild, it is a brichardi, and it is living side by side with a sp. black. There is some color variation, but this could be lighting, food etc, and we also know there is variance with in all Tropheus species. Just look at the variance between the species black at the same location, some have red markings and some of yellow, some have no markings, and some have larger markings but no stripping like we see in Tropheus brichardi.

I hope this helps!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com