Furcifer in 75G and 65G tank

Q&A About Lake Tanganyika Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

portugalc

Furcifer in 75G and 65G tank

Post by portugalc »

I am just about setting two new tanks 75G (48" x 20") and 65G (48" x 15") and I really like to go with featherfins for which I believed it is impossible for this small tanks, until I found this very interesting conversation "Keeping and Breeeding Lake Tanganyika featherfins". So I got more questions which I hope I get questions before my little project begins.

So my main question is if I could go with featherfins in any or even both of my aquariums (What type of featherfin, how many, and what male to female ratio)? I prefer Furcifer and Foai, but if not possible with this two I would go with any feather fin (Boops, Nasuta and Ventralis) which I like as well.
Next questions are related to previous question - if I go with featherfins in two tanks I mentioned above - could I add a group of Cyprichromis or Altolamprologus pair to this two tanks or do you think it would be too overcrowded? And if I could go with two males in any of this two tanks - is there any recommendation on decoration?

Thanks for your respond in advance.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Furcifer in 75G and 65G tank

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi portugaic,

The featherfins are a lot of fun to work with.

I think you can keep a group of each in your two tanks. I would not mix anything with them. I would want to buy juveniles and get 8 - 10 and let them grow up together. You can pull out the extra males, but you should be able to keep a couple of males at a time as well. When they grow up together they learn to tolerate each other better, and not as many issues as throwing adults together and expecting them to get along.

Here is a great book on the featherfins, I highly suggest it (See link below). Pick the ones you like the best, have a few back up choices in case you can't find what you are looking for.

Smaller rocks are going to be better, place them on the ends of your tank, and a few in the middle should work good. But you want to provide mostly a sandy open area.

http://www.cichlidae.com/review.php?id=54

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com