Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga flameback"

Q&A about Lake Victoria Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

penycat

Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga flameback"

Post by penycat »

I've been raising angelfish and bettas for a while now. I've got 15 tanks currently set up in the house and am ready to build a fish room in the garage (not used for cars) lol I've become obsessed with finding and setting up a species only tank of the flamebacks. I am however having a hard time finding them. I know they are on the critical list and I'd like to do my part in helping them survive. I've a 55g and 75g that are currently not being used and ready to be set up for these fish. Do you have any idea of where or how I can find them? I keep searches on ebay/aquabid and the like. I'm part of almost every cichlid forum and website that I can find and asking the above questions to all...I'm at a loss *sigh* Any help would be sooooo appreciated!
Thank you thank you!
in His grip
Sarah
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Xystichromis sp. "Kyoga flameback"

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Sarah,

You are to be commended for participating in the species maintenance program, it is one way we can keep these cichlids in the hobby for everyone to enjoy. First I would try to find out who is on the list that is keeping this fish on the list and contact them, some may have a waiting list for fry, and may take a while. Second, sometimes it is hard to find these fish, you have to drill down into the cichlid network. Do you belong to any regional cichlid clubs?? Many times it is word of mouth that you can locate hard to find fish. It is not likely that you are going to find it on ebay or aquabid, you probably need to find a breeder. Just keep your ear to the ground, and let people know you are looking. For example you can put that on your signature in other forums that you frequent and take advantage of the trading posts to leave ads of what you are looking for.

Good Luck and don't give up!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com