Jewels Breeding...please help!

Q&A about cichlids from Africa other than from the rift lakes

Moderator: Pam Chin

tubateacher

Jewels Breeding...please help!

Post by tubateacher »

I have a 40 gallon tank, home to a fully grown thread finned acara, I was told by my lfs that jewel cichlids would be good tankmates. I have 4 in with the acara and a pair have spawned, I realise that these fish get aggressive at this stage so....will my acara be ok? He is much bigger than them and they don't generally go near them but I am presuming he will see the fry as a light snack, will they harm the other 2 jewels in the tank?
How long before the fry are born, any advice would be greatfully received !!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Jewels Breeding...please help!

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Tubateacher!

Congrats on the spawn!! It typically tanks about 3 days for the eggs to hatch and another 3 days before they will free swim. When they start freeswimming and the parents can no longer contain them, and thats when they can easily be eaten by others. Jewels are incrediblely protective of the spawning site and fry. They will probably hold the acara to the other side of the tank. If he stays there maybe it will all be good, but if he doesn't they could be aggressive towards him. A 40 gal tank is not really big enough for him to get completely out of their way.

Probably best to play it by ear and see what happens, if you notice the acara is getting beat up, then you are going to need to either divide the tank or move one of them to a different tank.

Good Luck!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com