Paratiliapia polleni

Q&A about Madagascar Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Pam Chin
Site Admin

Paratiliapia polleni

Post by Pam Chin »

With Paratilapia polleni showing up in the auction, what can you tell us about this Cichlid?? Mike
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

<div align="center">Image</div>

Dear Mike,

First of all we have Paul Loiselle to thank for sending us the Paratilapia polleni. MANY THANKS PAUL!!!! The PCCA donated $500 to Paul to help get a group together to investigate and collect fishes from Madagascar. There have been a few delays in the trip, but it is on again, and we all are anxiously waiting what they will find. Hopefully upon his return we will be able to have Paul out so he can shares his findings and we can hear all about the trip.

In the March 1993 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. there is an excellent article by Melanie L. J. Stiassny, regarding the Cichlids that can be found on Madagascar. In this article the environmental issues are clear, many species of fish are being endangered, and a few are already extinct, not to mention the condition of the Rain Forest. It is certainly this reason why the PCCA felt they needed to contribute what they could to the cause.

Stiassny goes into detail about the polleni's biology, behavior and reproduction methods. It's survival so far is because it is able to handle a wide range of water conditions and temperature ranges. Which leads me to believe that this fish is fairly hearty and easy to keep in an aquairum set up. I had no idea that these fish were so big, I mean it is just an island, I figured they were a Killifish imitating a cichlid. NOT!! The largest caught was reportedly around 10 inches!! The fish has an awesome mouth, yet he isn't consider a predator, and feeds mostly on insects, crustaceans, and small fish. Reproduction is throughly described from beginning to end. Revealing an interesting fact; the eggs are not adhered to a substrate but are attached in row on an "egg string". The female bundles them up into a ball and does most of the brooding, while the male guards the territory.

It will only be a matter of time before the members who were successful bidders and now owners of P. polleni start getting their own spawns. Soon we will see them on the Auction Block again. So I urge any of you who are interested in this fish to pick up this issue of T.F.H. and read up on this cichlid, so you will be ready!![/img]
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com