A question about region differences on Cichla orinocensis

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

JiaFa

A question about region differences on Cichla orinocensis

Post by JiaFa »

Hello Pam, lately I've being searching for differences between the looks of Cichla orinocensis from different areas, such as Venezuela,Columbia and Brazil,but it seems like it is harder to find pictures with regional marks in the area of Venezuela and Columbia, which makes my research stucked, I'm hoping you can provide some help, thank you very much.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: A question about region differences on Cichla orinocensis

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Jiafa,

Its a hard task that you are trying to do, since you are dependent on photo's and scientific papers.

If you are a member of the Cichlid Room Companion (www.cichlidae.com) you can get a PDF of this paper from Kullander that seems to be the latest info on Cichla. I have also added a couple other references for you.

Cichla orinocensis Humboldt, 1821

Kullander, Sven & Efrem J.G. Ferreira. 2006. "A review of the South American cichlid genus Cichla, with descriptions of nine new species (Teleostei: Cichlidae)". Ichthyological Explorations of Freshwaters. 17:4:289-398 (crc01337)
Machado-Allison, Antonio & R. Royero, C. Silvera. 2000. "Humboldt y su contribucion as conocimiento de los peces de agua dulce de

Venezuela". Biol. Acad. C. Fis. Mat. Nat.. 60:3-4:63-72 (crc01016)

Von Humboldt, F.H.. 1834. "Voyage de Humboldt et Bonpland, Observations de Zoologie". Voyage de Humboldt et Bonpland, Observations de Zoologie. Paris 2:169 (crc00352)

Good Luck in your searching!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com