German Blue Rams - Breeding / Eggs

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

mccloudk

German Blue Rams - Breeding / Eggs

Post by mccloudk »

I have two 10gal tanks, each planted with Amazon Swords. In each is a pair of German Blue Rams. The females have both spawned at least twice over the last few weeks. In the two last cases well over 100 eggs each. In the last case my wife and I witnessed the spawning and watched the female lay the eggs and then watched the male swim / slide over the top of the eggs. My problem is that each spawn ends in unhatched eggs. The eggs very quickly turn white and never hatch. In the last spawning I removed the eggs (on a small peice of slate) from the tank and placed it in a small container with basicly RO water at the same temp. as the original tank along with a slow bubble from an air stone plus 1 drop of Methylene Blue for fungus. Still no luck, white eggs that just don't hatch.

Both pairs are kept in tanks with a PH of about 6.8, temp 81 degrees and hardness of maybe 90ppm.

Any suggestions would be greatfully accepted!

Thanks,

Ken
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi mccloudk,

Well with your description the first thing that comes to mind is that perhaps one of the pair is not fertile. However, I will just not give up that quickly, and hope that these rams are young and that they just haven't figured it all out correctly. However, the first inclination may be the issue.

Only time will tell... if it continues then you have to decide if you want to trade these in for others.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com