Aggressive rams eating my plants!

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

alvin

Aggressive rams eating my plants!

Post by alvin »

Hi Pam,
I've had a pair of blue rams in a 5g tank for about a month now, and I think they're stunning - but they are causing me some heart-ache!
I did some research before I got them and they were made out to be quite a peaceful fish, but they killed the 3 glow-light tetras I had in the tank. They also killed my guppy this week, but I think this is because they had just spawned and were prtotecting their eggs. Temperature in the tank is about 79 degrees F.

Anyway, they keep eating all the plants I have in the tank - this was very unexpected. I have tried increasing the quantity or number of times that I feed them but they keep stripping the leaves.
Can you recommend any plants that they won't eat?

(Also grateful for any advice on calming them down)

Thanks
Al
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Al,

I think it is probably the size of your tank, it is quite small, and while a pair of Rams can flourish in it that is about it. In the wild they will chase anything out of a spawning area, and there is no place to flee in your tank.

I am not sure what to tell you about the plant issue. Cichlids chew down or pull up plants for several reasons. To elimnate where a predator may hide, they like to eat them, or sometimes I swear they are just bored. The only way to prevent this that I know of would be plastic plants.

Congrats on your spawn, rams are not an easy one to do, so good going!!!

Cichlid power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com