German Blue Ram help

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

divingne1

German Blue Ram help

Post by divingne1 »

Hello. I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong catagory but this is my first visit. I have 2 pair of GBR that are spawning as we speak. One pair laid eggs last night and most of those eggs are gone. Now they are spawing again. I have another pair that are cleaning a spot in the tank for spawning. There is quite a bit of arguing going on as I think the bigger male ram that helped fertilize eggs last night is trying to fertilize both ladies eggs today. The other male is trying his best to defend himself but he is so much smaller than the long finned ram male.

My question is...how soon do the eggs hatch and can the fry eat cyclopeeze as their first meals? I am not sure if the eggs from last night have hatched or if the snail helped himself to them. I think I saw a fry floating in the water but it wasn't moving. It was kind of red color and bigger than I thought it would be. Bigger than the eggs anyway. Any help, info, or suggestions is much appreciated.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: German Blue Ram help

Post by Pam Chin »

Divingne,

Congrats on the spawn. The eggs usually take about 3 days to hatch into the wiggler stage, and then they usually hang on the rock/flower pot another 3 days before they drop off and then usually freewim shortly there after. The fry are incredibly small and this is one of the toughest issues with spawning this fish; raising up the fry. I personally think that freshly hatched baby brine is far superior to cyclopezz.

The good new is you know you have probably have at least one pair, and they will do it again. Consider moving any obstacles that might prevent a viable spawn, such as snails!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com