Spawning Apistogramma Gibbiceps and others

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Hudson Ensz

Spawning Apistogramma Gibbiceps and others

Post by Hudson Ensz »

I am trying to spawn some apistogrammas. i have some gibbiceps a couple of females and at least one mature male. i also have a female agassiz dwarf and some more unidentified apistogrammas i dont know how to get them ready to spawn. the male is active but the females drive him off. Right now i have a lot of them but only a couple are over an inch. My goal is to have them pair off and then get rid of the surpluss specimens. i need info on gibbiceps and identifying the others. one looks like a pertense. and the others are unknown. i bought some more today and one apeared to have a lyretail but it was hard to tell as his tail fin is hurt. i wish i had better pics sorry.
Bye :D
Attachments
i changed my tank around
i changed my tank around
Cópia de P1240389.JPG (69.21 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
Here is a group picture
Here is a group picture
Male gibbiceps
Male gibbiceps
Cópia de P1220333.JPG (78.59 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
Cópia de Apisto.JPG
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Spawning Apistogramma Gibbiceps and others

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Hudson,

It sounds to me like you are on the right track. Finding stock, and then raising them up and letting the pair off naturally is the way to go. Once you get a pair most people will remove them to a smaller tank by themselves, and apsito freaks are famous for having many small tanks; 2-1/2 gal, 5 gal etc. Most turn these into little show tanks with sand and plants, it is good to have some dithers in the tank. These dithers will help lessen the aggression on the pair itself. Anything from guppies to small tetras, to zebra danios are good candidates for dithers. Conditioning your fish is very important if you want to spawn them. You need to spoil them with live foods, like freshly hatched baby brine shrimp, tiny red worms are a favorite, as well as good staple cichlid food, pellet or flake. Water changes are important too, you can't change your water too much, and the closer you get to their optimum conditions, temperature, pH and hardness, the happier they will be. And happy fish like to spawn!!

The hardest part of the process is waiting, it may take some time, mean while, enjoy your apsito's!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com