Ask pam, about my ram! and much more.

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

Hudson Ensz

Ask pam, about my ram! and much more.

Post by Hudson Ensz »

I got a new acrylic tank that is approximately two entire gallons! Oh well it helps. I put a tiny unidentified apisto (more about that later) in with a betta. I will post pictures. I need help on the apisto it is similar to a paucisquamis but it also somehow reminds me of a panduro even though there are no similarities! One third of the tail is jet black. Is this a defect or what? I have another unidentified apisto that I need your help with. I will post pics of it too. I am not sure if this was wise or not and I really may not be the responsible hobbyist. I bought a beautiful ram. And I named him Ramses. I will get a female soon. The apisto’s are spread throughout the tanks so in the ten gallon there is one apistogramma agassiz one apistogramma paucisquamis two or three adult gibbiceps the ram the other unidentified appisto a young discus some oto’s and two dicrossus filamentosus. The filtration is twice the needed power and none of the appisto’s are over one inch but still it may be a little overcrowded i can move some into the two gallon but I would rather not. Is it necessary to get rid of some fish? The three gallon has two apisto’s and three small live bearers. What do you suggest I do? I love them all but I don’t know what to do. Thank you so much. Bye. really need to go i will post more pics later bye
Attachments
another pic
another pic
My little unidentified apisto
My little unidentified apisto
Cópia de P2060114.JPG (108.87 KiB) Viewed 6859 times
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Ask pam, about my ram! and much more.

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Hudson!

I am not able to ID your Apisto, but if you post that on the regular forum; http://www.cichlidae.info/forum/index.php I am sure that someone can give you an idea of what it is.

If all these fish in your 10 gal tank are young juveniles you may be able to get away with this temporarily, but long term it isn't going work. You will need to either get more tanks, or pick your favorites to keep. I know how much you love your fish, but you have to look out for them, you are their keeper. In the wild, these fish can remove them selves from danger, enemies and predators by swimming away, but in our tanks if one fish starts picking on another, there is no place for them to go, and so often they end up beat up dead.

A 10 gal tank is perfect for pair, but not for multiple species of Apisto's and other dwarf cichlids. I think you will like the rams, but they are very shy and often more difficult then Apisto's. One of the cool things about them is that they are easy to sex, since the females have spangles around the spot on their body. Once you have a pair you can keep them in a smaller aquarium. You can add a few Tetras to make them feel comfortable and then just sit back and enjoy them!!!!

Okay!!! So be careful with your decisions of new fish until you get some more room, and concentrate on the fish you already have!!!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com