Andinoacara stalsbergi questions

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

buffy1270

Andinoacara stalsbergi questions

Post by buffy1270 »

Hi Pam. I have the opportunity to possibly obtain Andinoacara stalsbergi but I am having problems finding information about their care in the aquarium, size, etc. I have a standard 55 gallon long tank available and I had originally wanted to use it for a single wet pet smaller sized cichlid. However I am wondering since these are rare if I shouldn't try to breed them. I am having problems finding information on that also. I have the following questions:

1. Is a standard 55 gallon tank large enough for 1 or 2 of these guys?

2. How does this species do as a single "wet pet"?

3. Should I try to breed them since they are harder to find in the hobby,i.e. would it be a "waste" to just have one as a wet pet?

4. I have hard alkaline water with high pH - what water parameters do they require?

5. Can you refer me to any resources where I can learn more about this fish's breeding and keeping requirements?

Thanks!

Karen
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Andinoacara stalsbergi questions

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Buffy,

Very nice!! This is really a gorgeous cichlid from South America! Its not your typical South American cichlid since it is found on the Pacific Slope of the Andes Mountians and not in the Amazon River. It is not currently on any lists as a species at risk, but we do know that cichlids are under evaluated and many of these habitats are in worse shape then you think. Although there is not alot written about this particular species by looking at other species that are closely related may give you additional clues to breeding and maintenance. They are close to Andinoacara rivulatus, which has been in the hobby for many years, and you should be able to find breeding information on this species. It appears that when it was first collected and before it was described it was put in the Aequidens group. Any information you can find on that group would also be helpful.

1. Is a standard 55 gallon tank large enough for 1 or 2 of these guys? 2. How does this species do as a single "wet pet"?
They are usually around 7 - 8 inches, so as a single wet pet, they would do great, they have a tons of personality. You could breed them in a 55 gal tank, but you would probably have to divide the tank so the female could get away from the male when he decides to trash her.

3. Should I try to breed them since they are harder to find in the hobby,i.e. would it be a "waste" to just have one as a wet pet?
Fish keeping is a personal choice, but I don't think there is any thing wrong with keeping one fish in a tank. These larger cichlids can provide so much joy to your family in this type of set up. And talk about king of the tank, he doesn't have to share anything, and all that food is for him! Believe me they love it as well.

4. I have hard alkaline water with high pH - what water parameters do they require?
Since this species is found in streams on the Pacific slope the water is more alkaline, similar to Central America. 8.0+ pH is going to be fine.

5. Can you refer me to any resources where I can learn more about this fish's breeding and keeping requirements?
Google is your friend!!!! There are also several common names for this species; Peruvian green terror, silver saum, white saum, etc.

Its a pretty hot looking cichlid!
Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com