ANGELFISH, DISCUS OR SOUTH AMERICAN DWARF CICHOLIDS?

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

lesandjill

ANGELFISH, DISCUS OR SOUTH AMERICAN DWARF CICHOLIDS?

Post by lesandjill »

I am in the process of setting up a 150-gallon South American rainforest ecotope tank. While my primary interest is the small, peaceful, colorful South American tetras of which I would like to include four or five schools of 12-18 fish; I am in need of a "centerpiece" species that are found this natural habitat, My preference would be four or five small discus or angels. However, after reading extensively, I have found that both have pros and cons that would exclude some varieties of tetras from consideration. Discus (in addition to being difficult) require high temperatures, while angels can be predatory toward smaller tank mates. What, if any, is your knowledge and experience in such situations? Would I be better to settle for a variety (or two) of South American dwarf cichlids? Whatever your recommendation, are their any particular variety of discus, angelfish or dwarf cichlid would be most likely possible to attain a successful outcome?
Thank you for your time and cooperation. I welcome any suggestions or recommendations you might offer and look forward to your reply.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: ANGELFISH, DISCUS OR SOUTH AMERICAN DWARF CICHOLIDS?

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Lesandjill,

This sounds like a really awesome tank! I can clearly see that your center piece is going to be the Tetra's. When you do these types of biotope tanks it is really best to select species that don't occupy the same area of the tank. Although Discus and Angelfish would look great in that tank, they are going to be right in the middle of all where all your tetra's should be peacefully schooling together. I think it would be really disruptive.

I would consider some species that are going to occupy the bottom 1/3 of your tank. First off you are probably going to want some catfish? Well there are plenty to choose from, Corydoras comes to mind, they are nice looking and stay smaller. You may even want to add a pleco or two. Next I would research some Apistogramma, this dwarf comes in many varieties, you can have multiple pairs going in a tank your size. There are other dwarfs that would probably work, but Apisto's don't usually dig up your plants and cause a scene when they want to spawn! They keep your tank a little more peaceful! Then if you think you need more fish, consider increasing the size of your Tetra schools.

For more info on Apisto's and other dwarfs check out these pages

www.apistogramma.com
www.thekrib.com

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com