Got fry now what ??

Q&A about South American Cichlids

Moderator: Pam Chin

flyfishfan1966

Got fry now what ??

Post by flyfishfan1966 »

I have a breeding pair of Satanoperca jurupari that had about 40-50 fry a few weeks ago. Mostly by dumb luck.
They are in a 29gal. I am in the process of setting up a 180 gal.
I should have water in it this weekend. Then a few weeks for an accelerated fish less cycle. Using media from old tank.
Questions:
Should I separate the adults and fry???
When? They are getting close to a half inch.
If they get separated and the fry stays in 29 and adults move to 180, how big does the juveniles need to be to move to big tank?

Will the adults breed again?
How should I deal with new , future fry in 180?
Can I keep adults, current fry and future fry all together and happy in 180???

What would ideal tanks mates be in the 180? Is love some upper water column fish.
I have (3) 4" Clown loaches, will they be OK with fry ?

Thanks for all your valuable insight.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Got fry now what ??

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Flyfish,

You have a couple options, and one would be to move everyone into the 180, anytime you move your fish it is a risk, but if they are doing good with the parents now, they should be doing okay in the larger tank. The draw backs on the fry are going to be the shock of move, and it may be harder for them to find food in such a large tank. The other good news is, you have confirmed that you do have a pair, so if something happens to this batch, you will probably have more in the future.

Or you could leave the fry in the smaller tank get some more size on them before you move them to the larger tank.

As far as tank mates I agree that you need a mid water fish(s). There are just so many to choose from, it really boils down to personal preference. But you could add Angels, Discus for example. Or severums. Clown loaches will be fine with what ever you pick and they shouldn't bother the fry. Personally I really like a school of fish in South American tank, so its pretty hard to beat Cardinal Tetras. Other suggestions would be rose line sharks, and Congo Tetras(even though from Africa they would be fine in this type of community tank.).

Ahh a 180 you are going to love it, and so are your Cichlids!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com