Tropheus bloat treatment with the lack of old meds

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

metinemre

Tropheus bloat treatment with the lack of old meds

Post by metinemre »

Hi
I`m new to this forum. I`m pretty experienced with Tropheus since 2001. After 5 years of break I will start my dream tank in our forever home.
Since Furan2 a and clout are no more. What is the current treatment method for the bloat? I`ve been searching forums and internet for a few days but seems like no clear information. I had 100% success with clout and few times Furan 2 was needed. Now it doesn`t seem like any medication replaced either or, maybe I`m missing something.

Thanks
Metin Gurbuz
Phoenix AZ
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Tropheus bloat treatment with the lack of old meds

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Metin,

I don’t think much has changed, everyone seems to have their own cure and ritual. I personally like to stay away from the meds, I have had nothing but bad luck with them. You spend a fortune on the fish and then spend a fortune on meds, and it never seems to end well.

Bloat is kind of a catch all phrase, it could be bacterial, parasites or even an actual blockage, and it is hard to diagnose and treat properly. It is usually a result of other issues, like aggression, overfeeding, poor water conditions.

I try to do preventative maintenance, by trying to stay one step ahead of them. I keep species only tanks, strive for the cohesive group, and hope for the best.

Oh, I do know that the Clout that is available today, is not the same clout we use to see in the 90’s. They have been bought out and reformulated several times.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com