Unknown Red Spots

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

ssv13

Unknown Red Spots

Post by ssv13 »

I have a 75 gallon tank with various cichlids including one hybrid cichlid (red-devil mix I believe), Albino Jack Dempsey, Regular Jack Dempsey, 2 convicts, and 2 Plecos. About 2 months ago, the Albino Dempsey developed some red pots on it's body and a few days later he died. A few days ago, the male convict developed similar red spots and died today. I see a red spot on the regular dempsey and am afraid a similar fate awaits her. Does anyone know what this could be? I have a photo of the dead convict displaying the red spots in case anyone would like to see it. Hopefully someone knows what this could be. Thanks.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi ssv,

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your fish. It is very hard to diagnose fish without seeing them. Especially when it comes to something like this. Trying to figure out what this maybe can take some detective work. It is strange that they would not all come down with it at the same time, or at least after the initial loss. You need check your set up, is everything okay. You have enough filtration, you are doing regular water changes, correct pH, correct Temp. etc. Are they wounds from a fight with a tank mate? How hands on do you want to be? You could disect your fish and see if it is a parasite, or something else, if you lose another one.

It is very hard to recommend a medication if you are not sure what it is. Using the wrong meds, can be worse then not medicating at all.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com