I have about 13 fish in a 75
2 White Labs both Male
Red Emps 3 Female 1 Male 1 Female Holding
Black Acei's 2 Female 1 Male 1 Female holding
Aulonocara gertrudae Konings 1 Female and 1 Male
2 Burundi frontosas sexes unknown my guess would be male and Female
Temp 81
ph 8.8
Everything is Good with the tank BUT the Aulonocara gertrudae Konings Not eating looks like they are having problems breathing they are breathing very hard all other fish look good they are even spawing

??
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Couple Sick fish

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Superbee,

I really need more information to try and figure out what the issue is. One red flag that came up for me is your temperature; 81 is way to hot for these fish, and this can cause fish to breath hard or even go to the surface for air. Higher temperatures means there is less oxygen in the water. Higher temperatures shorten the life span of your fish, comprimize your water conditions, and can cause more aggression. Gradually cool them down to about 76 degrees and they should all look a little better. It is so hard to diagnose fish, especially if you can't see them, or you don't know them. So I am not sure how long you have had these fish?? All of the fish you have are harem spawners, they do not pair off, they breed in groups. Trying to breed them, or even house them one one one is difficult, I would encourage you to get more of each species to form groups.

I hate to medicate fish, it is so hard to decide how to treat them and often using the wrongs meds is worse then not medicating at all. So unless you know exactly what the issue is, it is impossible to figure out what is going to be the best medicine or treatment. Often you can turn the situation around with water changes.

If not, then you need to remove the fish to hospital quarters and treat as necessary. You don't want to treat your established tank, you don't want to treat fish that are not sick, so isolating the fish is the best course of action.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com