big eye?

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

fmkeylock

big eye?

Post by fmkeylock »

hi pam

just went to feed fish and noticed one of my fish has a big almost swollen eye?? almost like there is a plastic cap over his one eye. no other fish has this problem. this fish was skipping off the side of the tank yesterday i checked PH and it was a little low. So i added baking soda and that was the end of it, now he is not skipping off side but has this eye thing?? thanks for your help
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: big eye?

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi FM,

It sounds like maybe your fish hit his eye when he was skipping across the tank. You will want to keep an eye on that and make sure it doesn't get infected. Also remove or lay down any rocks that have sharp edges so that doesn't happen again. The most important thing is to keep the water clean, so you may want to do some extra water changes in the next couple of weeks to prevent infection. If you are going to use Baking Soda to increase your pH, be sure to add it each time you do a water change.

I really hate to medicate, first off you don't want to medicate in your established tank, or dose your fish that don't need medicating.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com