Malawian tank issue

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Sapperone

Malawian tank issue

Post by Sapperone »

Hello Pam, Recently, I purchased 4 acei for a Malawian biotope I have. Unfortunately, they were infected with ich and contaminated the entire environment. I took immediate action by raising the temperature to 86f. and adding 3tsp. of aquarium salt over a three day period. I lost a 4 inch Johanni and a few Yellow Labidochromis so far. I returned the Acei to the shop where I got them and they were exhibiting loss of color on their lateral fins as well and open bruises- I believe it was cotton wool disease- a Clown Loach is laying on the substrate severely gasping for air while the rest of the yellow Labs pick on him. I believe he's not going to make it although I added much more aeration and a couple of water changes with reduced amounts of aquarium salt. The rest of the tank inhabitants seem to be doing fairly well so I intend to continue the treatment for approx. two weeks. What do you think I should do next? I want to desperately save the loach since I've had him for about 7 years but I'm loosing hope. Should I continue the 3 tsp. per gallon salt treatment with 86f. temperatures or should I ease up on the temperature and, or the salt. Any advise would be extremelly helpful. Thank you for a great site!
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Malawian tank issue

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Sapperone,

Its really hard to diagnose fish without being able to see them. There are many Malawi fish that will not do well at higher temps. If the fish have not improved then you might consider treating. But unless you know exactly what you are treating, you can't pick the correct medicine? Treating with the wrong meds can be worse then not treating at all. Is it a parasite or a fungus? both require different medications, and not all fish, like loaches that have no scales, can take these meds.

I really wish I could be of more help, but I don't even know what kind of fish you have in the tank, I would only be guessing.
You might try leaving a message over in the hospital section at www.Cichlid-forum.com Fill out their form and I am hoping they can help you.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com