Jaguar managuense won't close mouth

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Shell

Jaguar managuense won't close mouth

Post by Shell »

I have an 8 year old jaguar managuense and his mouth hasn't closed in almost 2 weeks. He has a clear stringy stool and was told to treat him with general cure 250 mg metronidazole & now his stool is coming out a green algea like color. He hasn't ate in almost 2 weeks but still looks fine except the fact that his mouth won't close. The tank water is in good condition and he's the only fish in the tank. Feeling helpless :0(
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Jaguar managuense won't close mouth

Post by Pam Chin »

Shell,

Sorry to hear about your Manny. It sounds like the jaw might be out of joint or broken. Adult fish can survive a long time with out food, 6 - 8 weeks. But, soon if he doesn't start eating he will be going down hill. There really isn't much you can do for a broken jaw, but it may be worth trying to take him out of the tank and examine it. If it is just out of joint, you might be able to pop it back in. If your are not comfortable with this, I really can't offer much more. Sometimes fish learn to eat with these types of injuries. I hope that he can adapt, if not you will have to decide when his quality of life is not what it should be and then euthanize.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com