What's the best way to clean my tank for future Manny

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

Shell

What's the best way to clean my tank for future Manny

Post by Shell »

Hi Pam,
We put my Manny of 8 years to rest and buried him in the garden.
The last day of his life, I noticed he started developing velvet and had treated him in the past for flukes.
Now that my 75 gal tank is empty,All rocks and gravel are out of the tank and in buckets. Was wondering what is the safest way to clean it for future Manny?
Thank you for all your help, Shell :0)
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: What's the best way to clean my tank for future Manny

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Shell,

I am sorry to hear about your Manny, I can totally relate to how attached we can become to our fish. I know it is a tough decision, but it was the right one.

But on the upside, WOW you have an empty tank with all sorts of possibilities!

It is probably best to hose everything off good and let it dry out completely. If you have some stains or mineral buildup that you are trying to remove, use some water with some bleach to clean and then rinse well and let it dry out. This is a good time to look at all your equipment, lights, heater and filter and replace if necessary, and replace all your filter pads if you have any.

This will be like starting over from scratch, when you set up your tank you will need to let it sit for a few weeks to properly cycle. While you are waiting you can look around and decide what type of fish you want to have. You have time to research fish that are catching your eye to see if that is something you want to work with and if your water is compatible.

I will be glad to help you with any questions you have during this process!

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com