Bulge below the Duboisi

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

JoeyJoeyJoey

Bulge below the Duboisi

Post by JoeyJoeyJoey »

Hi Ms. Chin, sorry to bother you and thank you for your time. I'm posting this to ask about my new Duboisi Cichlid, it may or may not be sick… I really dunno. I behaves, swims, and eats normally like all the other Duboisis in my tank, except… It has a weird bulge on the lower part if the fish.
Do you know what it is? Is it sick? If it is, what is the illness and how may I cure/treat it?

(I've been trying to post a photo or a video but it won't work) is there anyway I can send you the picture and/or the video, an email perhaps?

Thank you for taking the time to read this email, I hope you reply to it soon.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Bulge below the Duboisi

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Joey,

It is so hard to say what it could be with out being able to actually see it. But it does sound like you may have some kind of a digestive issue. It would be best if you can isolate the fish in a hospital tank. At the same time you should do a extra water change on your main tank. You want to avoid medicating your established tank it will take forever to get it back to normal.

You need to do a little detective work and decide if this appears internal or if it is near the anal area? Stop feeding this sick fish and add some epsom salts, a couple table spoons per 10 gal of water. I hate to medicate fish, if you are not sure what it is, treating with the wrong meds can be worse then not treating at all.

These types of issues in Tropheus are caused by stress. Stress can be caused from tankmates, water conditions, wrong diet, temperature, etc. Double check your basics and make sure you have some cover so if one is getting singled out there is place for them to get away. Sometimes Tropheus will reject a member of the group, and there is really nothing you can do, if you don't remove them, they will just stress it to death. This is why Tropheus do better in large groups because it is harder for one to get singled out.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com