white spot in center of the head

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

trophsky

white spot in center of the head

Post by trophsky »

I have around 50 calvus and have raised them from fry they are around 17 months old and i noticed the other day a couple had white patch between there eyes,a day later noticed that one had a hole in its head so I treated with metro long story short ive lost ten so far and I have done my water changes twice a week on them for the last 16 months Is this hole in the head or something else.also treated with prozipro and just recently treated with sulfathiazole and this seems to have stop it so far no more deaths and the white patch seems to be healing instead of turning into a hole in there head
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: white spot in center of the head

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Trophsky,

That is so frustrating, I feel your pain.

I would have to see the fish to give it a guess, but that is probably all I could do. Calvus and compressiceps fry can be doing great, and then turn on you in a second. I think any fish can get hole in the head, it is just more common in larger fish, and maybe because it is easier to see on a bigger fish? The primary cause is poor water conditions, but it sounds like your water was not an issue. I hope that you can get it under control and it isn't something serious that could spread to your other tanks.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com