Many deaths in last few days

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

kingston1

Many deaths in last few days

Post by kingston1 »

Hello Pam:
Was nice seeing you a few months ago in the PCCA meeting.
I have ran into a semi major disaster in the last week or so. My 75gal (established a long time ago with no issues till now) have been having about a death a day for about 2 weeks. It has wiped out all my Met. Zebras (7) and did some damage to a few other species. Lost a total of about 12-14.
No warning, and no foreseen problems. Some fishes look healthy, eat, then die the same day. No fishes are hiding. No bullies (100% sure).
Temp=76
Ammonia =0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=20
PH= 7.5
I do weekly about 50% WC. I am at a loss. I went out this weekend and bought some Tetracycline and added it. Why?--Just to do something. I am at a loss for ideas. Any? Please help.
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Re: Many deaths in last few days

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Kingston,

That is really frustrating. It is so hard to diagnose what it could be. I would suggest taking all the rock, and deco out to make sure no dead bodies are stuck anywhere. Then I would consider a larger water change and maybe twice a week to get thru this.

Then really look at your equipment and make sure everything is running properly and no oil is getting into the water.

Also 12 -14 zebras in a 75 gal tank and you still have fish left, you may have been a bit over crowded.

I wouldn't add any fish until you have this under control.

I hate to recommend any drugs since I am not sure what it could be. The wrong meds can be worse then no meds at all.

Cichlid Power!
Pam
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com