pop eye +......

Q&A about diseases and their cure

Moderator: Pam Chin

mcross

pop eye +......

Post by mcross »

I have a mostly mature cichlid, type unknown. He has had what appears to be pop-eye for about 4 months. I've been treating him with maracyn II, maracyde, (jungle brand) fungus-clear, melafix consecutively, not conjunctively and have done many water changes. I moved him to a 2 gallon sick tank about 3 weeks ago. Up until this last week, he has been eating well. Only showing physical symptoms, not acting sick. Last night he started floating vertically and almost gasping for air. He's almost gone belly up a few times. He darts around the small tank, running into things, then goes back to his vertical position. I had him in just clean water last night and most of today, just tried the fungus clear again. He also appears to be getting little white strands coming out of the eye, even though it's shrunk and he seemed to be doing better. Any suggestions? Here's his picture.

Thanks!

Matt [/img]
Pam Chin
Site Admin

Post by Pam Chin »

Hi Matt,

I am very sorry to hear about your cichlid. That is really a tough one, I am not sure what fish your has. It is very hard to diagnose fish without actually seeing them, and really with out actually knowing them. You know what normal is for your fish. But, once they start gong vertical, and banging on the sides of the tank, you have to decide whether you want to continue treating or if you think his quality of life is not going to return, then you are going to have to consider euthanasia.

I wish I could be of more help.
Cichlid Power!
Pam

Cichlid Room Companion
Best Cichlid Site Ever
http://www.cichlidae.com