Active in his local fish club, the Ohio Cichlid Association, for the past 20 years Dan has held the positions of President, Editor, Program Chairman, Librarian, and is currently Vice-president. Maintaining over 1,500 gallons of water in his self-built fish room he has raised and bred a wide variety of animals including some of the largest Cichlids.
Since 1998 Dan has traveled to Central and South America annually in an effort to inject new specimens into the hobby as well as taking a small part in the preservation of troubled Cichlids through captive breeding. His 2002 trip was truly an "Adventure in Panama" where his collecting party was stranded on a remote beach overnight with no food, water, or dry clothes. In 2003 Dan traveled to South America where a wealth of new fishes was found.
Dan has written articles on his adventures, breeding cichlids, and other aquatic interests appearing in Cichlid News, Aquarium Fish Magazine, Tropical Fish Hobbyist, and the American Cichlid Association’s Buntbarsche Bulletin.
Programs are approximately an hour long, highlighted by color slides or digital presentations.
- Building a High Tech, Low Cost Fish Room: This program looks at building a fish room from the ground up. In many fish rooms, time and fish health are important issues. This step-by-step design to building a modern fish room will give anyone the ability to spend more time working with there fish rather than maintaining the aquariums.
- Adventure in Panama: Search for rare species and adventure in Panama. Discover some of the vast aquatic life living in Panama. See how a collecting trip can truly be an adventure, literally!.
- South America: Experience a new adventure in South America, Argentina, and see some new species. This recent trip in June of 2003 yielded many new fishes including Cichlids, pleckos, corydoras and more!
- Honduras Revisited: Search for rare species and adventure on two trips to Honduras. See how a trip can be very rewarding by finding the fish equivalent of the Holy Grail!.
- My Favorite Cichlids, and a Few New Ones: This program explores some of my all time favorite Cichlids and some new ones! It also offers a look into the vast diversity of the aquarium hobby. This program is constantly updated
- Is it a Hobby or a Disease? This program explores the illness that infects us all! Is this thing we call a hobby really a hobby or is it a disease?
- Collecting in Mexico: Come with me to visit some of Mexico’s sites and collect Cichlids and other Mexican fishes. See Cichlids in their natural habitat and the surrounding areas
- Fish Photography Dos and Don'ts: Learn what to do and what not to do taking fish pictures! You’ll shoot like a pro in 100 easy lessons!