The Project

By Dan Woodland
User avatar
slimbolen99
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:48 am
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: The Project

Post by slimbolen99 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:39 am

Did you attach the foam underlayment to the stand, under the tank? Just curious.
Dan Woodland wrote:Ah that was good! A long Christmas and New Year break. A much needed break.

All my tanks are in position now so here are a few shots....

This shot shows three 180s with 100 or 150 wide below.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: The Project

Post by Dan Woodland » Wed May 11, 2011 8:58 pm

no, I cut it to fit very tightly between the leg extensions. I planned this so it would stay in position when the tank was placed on it and I didn't want to have any fasteners under the tank. I didn't consider glue either because if I ever needed to take it off it would be a mess.

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: The Project

Post by Dan Woodland » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Now that my winter project is completed Fish room phase III has begun.

I took the winter to rebuild/remodel my 1989 Mazda pick-up, a frame on restore I guess it could be considered.

I removed the dash, A/C evaporator, heater box and all the fixings to clear up an issue with the air handling.
Image

I removed 20 mud dauber nests from various places including one that completely blocked the passenger side air duct - see the ridged nest below.
Image
Image

Along the way I replaced all seals, cleaned everything to within an inch of it's life and freshed up what I could including things like the vent louvers that broken during the previous owners tenure. I also removed anything rusted, cleaned it and painted it with Rustoleum.

I also took apart the blower assembly, heater box and controls, and wiring harness replacing anything in need of replacement.

I also rebuilt the Transmission linkage and painted that as well.
Image
Image

I completed upgrades like chrome handles, new door locks, wheels and more... all "upgrades" are from Junk Yard excursions pilfering parts from other "dead" trucks!!
Image
Image
Image

One rebuilt Engine with a new carburetor and exhaust headers!!!
Image

A new set of high power horns...
Image

A neat upgrade to give me on wiper washers...
Image

and the final product, a brand new 1989 pickum up truck.
Image


Back to the fish....
I don't like the tanks sticking out into the room because I miss being able to sit on a comfortable chair and see all my fish from one seating position and taking photos has been compromised because of reduced floor space between the faces of tank racks. I'm going to move two of the stands back against the wall, sell off two large tanks, and move the 180 from my office into the fish room. This will give me five 180s, four 100s, a 150 and ten 10s. I may also set up the 40 breeders again and may even add a third tier to that stand.

More to come in the coming days....

User avatar
Jshakour
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:20 pm
Location: Northeast Ohio

Re: The Project

Post by Jshakour » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:27 pm

Great job on the truck!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
-James

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: The Project

Post by Dan Woodland » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Jshakour wrote:Great job on the truck!
Thanks and everything worked with only 4 extra pieces. :)

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: The Project

Post by Dan Woodland » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:38 pm

Well, the revamp is just about done... I didn't like the tanks sticking out into the room as muh as I thought I would so I decided to move them back against the wall. I also decided to have fewer tanks so no tanks will be against the end wall leaving it open for storage, tanks (maybe someday) or other special projects come up with later.

I installed a new carpet, painted more portions of the wall,moved electrical down on the wall 13 inches (so I can access it from between the tanks.), moved the water supply just below the electrical, and remodeled two old racks to make another 180 gallon sized rack that I'll add another 180 over a 100 gallon for a total of four 180s.

One now has a very nice group of Tomacichla sieboldi, one will have a nice group of Gnathochromis permaxilarus, another has a small group of four Paratheraps melanurus, and finally a very nice group of Herichthys labridens "yellow".

Since all these tanks are either just set up or not set up yet I'll post some pictures as I get the water clear etc...

This group didn't change...
Image

This side is all new.... it used to come out from the wall now they are against the wall again.
Image

A look from the door way...
Image

Odd, my pics are cut off. I'll have to look into that...

Dan Woodland
CichlidRoom Expert
Posts: 3048
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:49 am

Re: The Project

Post by Dan Woodland » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:03 pm

Last 180 is in place... now I can start working with my fish again... no more construction for me.

Tomocichla sieboldi, Heros beani, and Paratheraps melanurm are all breeding.... gorgeous fish all of them.

Post Reply

Return to “My underground lair”