New Fishkeeper Debating Cichlids

For off topic posts, and friendly discussions
WadeWilson

New Fishkeeper Debating Cichlids

Post by WadeWilson »

Hi guys,

Just a quick hello and hoping that you can all go easy on me, will be appreciated :)

Back in September last year I bought our first family fish tank - first tank for all 3 of us. The juwel rio 180, 3 foot long. Cycled fishless using ammonia and api master test kit, added first fish and plants on the 18th November.

My current stock are 10 male guppy, 6 Cory trilineatus and 3 male golden honey gourami. The gourami I'm pretty annoyed about as I originally had 3 dwarf gourami but again the store didn't get the right ratio of male to female so took them back to exchange and ended up with 3 males grrrr.

Now I'm in a world of what to do with my tank as I'm no longer confident in myself sexing fish nor my aquarist.

Now I'm trying to find a new home for two or maybe all 3 gourami, but I'm wanting something else to fill out my tank a bit more.

Im aware Bolivian ram should be OK with my guppy, not sure my water would support a blue German and not sure on their temperament..
Are their any other cichlids I could look at trying to keep?

My water pH is 7.5 and the hardness is 14gh

My tanks also planted and I'd kind of prefer it to stay that way lol I've attached a picture of my tank, I do have a red tiger lotus hidden by the bogwood too, my favourite plant lol.

Look forward to speaking to you all and thanks in advance
Lisachromis
Administrator

Re: New Fishkeeper Debating Cichlids

Post by Lisachromis »

Sorry for the delay in getting this post approved. It did not show in my normal area for approvals.

Welcome to the forum!

You definitely can do Bolivian rams (M. altispinosa), or the German rams (M. ramirezi) with your fish. Your best bet is to stick with the smaller dwarf cichlids. You could go with many of the Apistogramma species as well. Odds are that you can get cacatuoides or borellii. Both are pretty and would go well with your fish.
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Ah I thought it was tap a talk so sorry for the numerous attempts!

I've been told that the Germans aren't as hardy and may not do so well in my water?
I've looked into Apistogramma cacatuoides not Borellii though. Could I keep a mix of any of these at all?
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Here's the tank at the moment :) reshuffled it all today the water is usually clearer, will have an external. Filter on Friday too. I've rehomed the two other gourami now too. Looking to get some Twisted vallis in to fill some of the background gaps

WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Bit of a dead forum isn't it? Lol
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

If I had a blue German ram and a Bolivian ram just one of each,would they require a cave to get away from each other or as they aren't the same cichlid would they be fine without any breeding caves?
Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis »

Personally I would keep one or the other in that sized tank.
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Bolivians are better suited to my water over the German aren't they?
Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis »

Technically, yes. Most petstore fish deal quite well with the pH differences. It's more important to keep the pH steady than play with it. Fluctuating pH is tough on fish.
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Think as I'm still quite new to this I'll go with bolivians. Tanks been running just over a month and I've had no ammonia nitrate or nitrite spikes or changes in pH. I can't test the hardness to see if it's become softer or harder at all but will assume it's the same.
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Just had this email from the water zoo.
Would people with cichlid experience or knowledge agree with this email? Before I even look at what they look like lol

Well like you mentioned Apistogramma cacatoides should be ok as well as the German rams which come in Blue, Electric blue and Golden, although they are more sensitive we do keep ours in local hard water, another good choice would be Sheep head acara, Red breasted flag cichlid and Keyhole Cichlids.

Kind regards

Jamie

Not saying I don't believe him, would just like more opinions
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

Went for Bolivian ram in the end

zenins

Post by zenins »

Good Choice :)
WadeWilson

Post by WadeWilson »

It was between these and the double red Apistogramma cacatuoides but the bolivians just drew me in
Lisachromis
Administrator

Post by Lisachromis »

Looking good.

Return to “Lounge”