New Tank Syndrome ??

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

achinni69

New Tank Syndrome ??

Post by achinni69 »

I recently purchased a 75 gallon long tank with Fluval FX4 canister, Eheim 200 watt heater, USB LED blue-white lights, Wave maker, African Cichlid gravel, driftwood, rocks and some artificial pieces and plants as well as an air stone coming through a buddah head sculpture. I ran the filtration for three days without any actvity. Then i added FRITZ turbo charge bacteria for two days and water until a week before introducing four juvenile Cichlids 1 -1.5 inches being a Jack dempsey, Black Convict, Blue Acara and Rainbow Cichlid. Everything was fine for a week or ten days but having minor "AMMONIA SPIKE" .
Water readings have been as follows: temperature around 78 F, PH 7.4, Ammonia 0.5-0.75 ppm, Nitrite 0.0 and Nitrate 2.5-3 ppm.
Have increased water changes from 25% to 50% and have been treating water with Seachem Prime water conditioner and Stablility bacteria additive with aquarium salt with the changes. Yesterday was 50% change with have the substrate vacuumed. I am reducing quantity of food by 50% today.
Is there anything else i can do to get rid of ammonia totally?

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”