Flashing and other issues

Discussion about cichlid diseases, treatments and quarantine procedures. Keeping your fish healthy (foods).

Moderators: Troy, Ken Boorman

mike.hellige

Flashing and other issues

Post by mike.hellige » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:03 am

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, but have years of prior experience with fish tanks and have never had a dilemma like my current one and I am hoping for some help. I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to read and help! My ultimate priority is doing what is best for the fish and at the end of the day having a happy tank that thrives for years to come.

Some history:

I researched and visited all of my local fish stores and found a very reputable highly touted store. I recently cycled a 75 gallon tank with 6 Zebra Danios, Dr Tim’s live bacteria, Stress Coat and Zyme. I have a crushed coral substrate and coral decoration. I’m running a Fluval FX6 canister filter. I also added the recommended amount of marine sea salt. After 15 days my numbers looked great (the tank never spiked). I even caught a baby danio while preforming a water test. Then I went back to the store and bought two rounds of peacocks and haps. On the second round the problems began... one of the fish caught a bad case of ich two days later.

I raised the tank's temp to 82/83. I removed all the chemical filtration. I treated it with Nox-ich following the directions on the label and cured the problem. However, I was still noticing flashing and what I believed to be hole in the head, fin rot and or flukes. I had taken a bunch of pictures and showed them to the owner of the pet store and he believed the problem to be flukes. So, I started treatment 20 days ago with Seachem Paraguard.

The entire time the levels in my tank remained perfect. The store has even tested to confirm. I have done bi-weekly 30% water changes (and once more before starting with Paraguard). I added new marine salt to replace what was going to waste. In addidtion, I have two air bubblers going with what appears to be good surface disturbance.

Right now I have 9 Peacocks and Haps along with 3 - 1" plecos as a cleaner crew.

Two electric blue - 2.5" and 3.5"
One 2.5" German red,
One 4" Ruby Red
One 1" Fairy Chiclid
One 3" Frontosa
One 1.5" Yellow Lab
One 2.5" I'm not sure (he is silver/white with a black prison bar looking pattern).
One 2.5" I think is a Sunshine Peacock 2.5" (he has turned white)

****Some of the remaining problems: ***

1) Power dynamic changes - the once dominant Ruby Peacock has been dethroned by an Electric Blue that is relentlessly chasing the rest of the fish. I had the intentions of filling the tank up as fast as possible to avoid aggression, but because of sickness, I could not. New wear and tear from the above power struggle is clear. One day fins look good. Another tiny shreds. But they all seem to bounce back quickly.

2) **** Flashing**** My main concern is the “flashing” or more turning and “glancing” off the crushed coral substrate. I have seen multiple fish flash. The same fish do not flash daily, but nonetheless I see at least two or three flash a day. That being said, I'm not watching every second, but sit right in front of the tank a good portion of the day. The Frontosa does flash every day and more than once a day. It’s usually in the same two spots in the tank too. I have vacuumed the area thoroughly. I don’t see any more physical signs of parasites.

3). Color loss- a few of the fish are experiencing extreme color loss. One has turned almost completely white, with only his vertical lines. Might be due to the meds or the continual power struggle/aggression.

What I’m looking to do:

I’m looking to stock the tank with as many Peacock's and Haps as the tank allows. Normally I would go to the pet store and get 5-6 fish at a time. I found a website that recommends stocking 30 - 35 fish in a 75 gallon to curb aggression. Also, buying the remaining 26 fish in either one or two shipments. On top of that, they think all of my issues are due to aggression and recommend treating with Melafix to speed the recovery of my current stock, however they dodge all of my questions regarding my number one concern which is seeing some fish "Flashing".

****I’m wondering what you recommend regarding how to move forward. Is it safe to buy fish when I see my current fish flashing? Is it safe to order so many fish all at once? I would like to avoid multiple shipping fees but, want to see this tank happy and healthy.****

Thank you for your time.

Return to “Health, Diseases and Treatments”