Filtration for large cichlids

Discussion about cichlid tank filtration

Moderator: Ken Boorman

robert.brooks.tn

Filtration for large cichlids

Post by robert.brooks.tn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:51 am

I've noticed that underground filters are scarce now. Are these not being used anymore? I see a lot more canister only systems now. I had large CA cichlids 10-12" and used both under gravel with powerheads, in conjunction with canister or hanging filters to handle the bio-burden. Thoughts on filtration for new setups?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

manky

Re: Filtration for large cichlids

Post by manky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 am

Yeah underground filters are not used much now and canister filters are now preferred instead. Since you have not mentioned the tank size, you can opt for the top canister filter from fluval, or if you are looking for a budget buy then check out the eheim classic.

zenins

Post by zenins » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:33 pm

If you want to use undergravel filtration and can not find any,
you can make your own out of corrugated Polycarbonate Roofing Panel from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-26-i ... /100021329

You will have to cut it to size and make slits using an orbital cutter to allow water flow.
Cut round holes for lift tubes and put powerheads on top of them or run airlines to the bottom with airstones.

There you go :)

Bas Pels

Post by Bas Pels » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:59 pm

I'm a big fan of intern filtration, with multiple layers of matten. I think nothing beats this

MarkV

Post by MarkV » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:07 pm

Canister filters are your best bet these days. The Fluval FX is has the highest gallon per gallon and considered the best canister filters but there are others not as expensive like the regular filters or even penn plex canister filters. If the tank is very large, you can also opt for a sump for extra stability. Undergravel filters have just gone out of style over the years as filtration technology has gotten better and cheaper. Cichlids tend to be a bit messy as well so the extra filtration and flow will help you a lot.

golustp

Post by golustp » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:49 am

lift tubes and put powerheads on top of them or run airlines to the bottom with airstones.

Return to “Filtration”