Question about adding Midas cichlid

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
Luvruben

Question about adding Midas cichlid

Post by Luvruben »

Hello
The fish store near my house has a large (9-10 inches) Midas cichlid that was a turn in because he outgrew the previous owners tank.
I have always wanted a Midas cichlid and I go visit this one quite often. He is starting to really interact with me.
I really like this guy, but I have 2 young (4 inches maybe?) Oscars and I assumed he would attack my little Oscars. At the store he was in a tank by himself, which is too small, of course.
The last couple of times I visited him the store owner had him in a similarly small tank along with a young Oscar, about the size of mine.
He did not pay any attention to the little Oscar and was not aggressive toward it the last couple of times I saw it.
Would I be crazy to get him and hope he does well with my little Oscars? I really enjoy him and he does not seem to like the small tank.
My Oscars are in an 8 foot 200 gallon tank, and right now they are the only fish in the tank. I think they would have enough room, but I hear so often that Midas and Red Devil need to be kept alone in a tank.
Thank you for any advice!

Return to “Central American Cichlids”