PLEASE HELP

Discussion about cichlids from Central America
ThePeacefulWarrior

PLEASE HELP

Post by ThePeacefulWarrior » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Hello everyone. I am new to the hobby, I started in November. I have a 65 gallon aquarium with 12 assorted African cichlids and 1 Pleco. I’m running 2 Marineland emperor 400‘S, I have 2 carbon filters in each and I have floss in the 2 plastic media canisters that come with the filters. My water parameters are all good. I change 25 gallons of water once a week.
I have an Mbuna that developed what looks like red sores at the base of his fins, about a month and a half ago. I spoke with the guy at the aquarium shop and he told me to use API Melafix and Pimafix. I don’t have the luxury of a hospital tank so I treated the entire tank twice. There was no change.
He has lost some color and what i call his “jewel” is completely faded (see photo)
I did some research and I think it may be septicemia. I treated with Seachem KanaPlex And still no change.
I did remove the carbon filters when medicating.

PLEASE HELP thank you in advance.

Attached photos
Before
Before
Before “jewel”
Before “jewel”
“Jewel” now
“Jewel” now
Sore
Sore
Sore
Sore

phil b

Re: PLEASE HELP

Post by phil b » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:15 am

Have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. That's where I would start to make sure its not a water quality issue. How often do you do water changes and in what percentage. A lot of mbuna can be sensitive to less than optimal water conditions.

Phil
Phil Benes
ACA - Convention Liaison
Fellow - American Cichlid Association
GCAS - Auction Chair

ThePeacefulWarrior

Post by ThePeacefulWarrior » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks for your response. My levels are all perfect I change 25 gallons every wee I test my water 2 a week. It’s not the water.

deeda

Post by deeda » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Can you post the exact test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate please?

Are all the cichlids adults?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

ThePeacefulWarrior

Post by ThePeacefulWarrior » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Hey Dee. Sorry it took so long to answer things been crazy. I did a 50% water change on Friday today is Sunday.
AMMONIA 0ppm NITRITE 0ppm NITRATE 0ppm.
They’re all adults and he is one of the bigger ones in the aquarium. I haven’t seen any fights just the normal chase on occasion.
I use aquarium salt once a month I heard that it can help with disease and stress.
Thank you

deeda

Post by deeda » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:24 pm

No problem!

A nitrate level of zero usually means the tank isn't fully cycled.

What test kit are you using and are you sure it is within the expiration date?

It's difficult to see if the redness around the pectoral fin is just redness or a growth, can you tell which it is?
Dee

OCA member thru 11/2019

Return to “Central American Cichlids”